Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My Mum

Today my Mum turned 75. I can only pray that I look as good as she does at 75. I'm not bad for 800, but I'm on the edge of 900 and my Mum looked good well through her 900's. I have hope. My Mum has taught me a lot in our 800 years of child/mother relationship. She has preached honesty, selflessness, accountability, work ethic, and motherhood, just to name a few. If not for her, I don't think I would be the giving, loving, caring person I CAN be today. I capitalized can because if you get on my bad side, none of those qualities will you ever see again. Promise. If you don't believe me, I can give you references, but I digress from my ode to Mum blog. Now, where was I? Oh yes....

When I was growing up I was an only child until I was 10. Then my parents decided I wasn't enough joy so they had my sister. OK, whatever, I get it. As a parent I wanted my kids to be closer in age but hey, they aren't 10 years apart so score one for me. I'm not going to sugar coat and say I was super excited about having a sibling. Now when I was 5, 6  or 7 heck yes, I wanted a brother or sister. But I didn't get that gift until later. However, better later than never. We weren't close since I had no use at 19 with a 9 year old sister. But when I went through my divorce she was truly a helping hand. Sometimes I even act like the younger sister but I wouldn't trade my place in line. I was lucky enough to have 10 more years with both Mum and Dad alone. I remember one Fall, my parents moved us to Pittsburgh and it was the first time I saw snow, I was so stoked! Mum and I went out that Fall and found turning leaves and she dipped them in wax that she melted so we could decorate the house. I was 9, but you know what? 40 years later and it's still one of my favorite Mummy and Me moments.

I know friends who aren't particularly close with their Mum's and I'm not going to lie, I understand. My Mother and I haven't had the perfect relationship but I don't think there are such things as perfect relationships on any level. I have some friends I want to baby shake, and then I have friends who I don't talk to every day but it's like we never missed a beat when we do talk again. I have some friends who can annoy me but I love them anyway. It would be no fun if everyone were as perfect and sensible as Moi. I mean come on, we need diversity, right? And thanks to my Mum, I can handle any type of person. Whether I choose to or not however, is entirely up to me.

So thanks Mum for all you taught me and showed me. I love you, you get on my last nerve, you are too sappy sometimes, but you're mine and I wouldn't trade you for another Mother ever. Happy Birthday and here's to 75 more!

No comments:

Post a Comment